Labels

Sunday 19 February 2017

Flights of Fantasy



Hi and welcome to my blog  :)  Today's post is a piece of mixed media that I've created for the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge #32.  I love to join in these challenges, they are a perfect excuse to play and get creative and messy!  For this piece I have used stamps from the CB Steampunk Travel  and Steampunk Butterfly sets; Aztec paints, Aquatints, Distress Inks, Mica powders, copper embossing powder, black sand texture paste; acetate, die cut cogs.



I started by creating the main focal panel with a piece of black card.  I had previously die cut some cogs of various sizes out of more black card and I used the 'waste' as a stencil to apply the texture paste to the panel.  I also just dropped the paste on in a few places too.  I set that aside to dry, and painted all the cogs.  I used the Aztec copper paint for some of them, and mixed antique gold paint with DI's for the rest.  I stamped and embossed several images and words onto white card, painted them and cut them out.



By now the texture paint was dry so I painted the panel with copper and gold Aztec paints.  I wanted to replicate a piece of rusty metal , so I dribbled some of the copper paint down the panel, then mixed white and teal Aquatints to make a verdigris paint which I added to the panel, cogs and stamped images.  I added glossy accents to the clock on the hat, and clear sparkle pen to the wing.  I also added sparkle pen to the wings of the butterfly.  



On another piece of black card I stamped some cogs around the edges with Versamark ink and blended Mica powders over the ink.  When dry I attached the focal panel to the black border.  I stamped and embossed  a small image 4 times onto acetate and cut them out, then added them to the border corners.  I also stamped and embossed the clock face from the hat onto the acetate and cut it out, then attached it to the little house.  I painted a piece of corrugated cardboard with copper paint and added some antique gold in places, then attached the panel and border.


.
I then arranged all the embellishments onto the piece and attached them




I used some 'waste' pieces from the  cogs as bolt heads on the corners of the focal panel.  




I'm so pleased with this piece.  I love Steampunk and these lovely stamps inspired me to create a mixed media piece ( which I also love).  The Steampunk Travel set is new, as are the Aztec paints, and I think this has been the perfect way to christen them!  
Thank you so much for popping by my blog today, I hope you've enjoyed this post and that you'll visit again soon  :)  

14 comments:

  1. This is very cool. I love all the different textures and colours used. It sounds s steampunk and done so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Birgit :) I had a blast making this lol! xx

      Delete
  2. Totally amazing canvas Penny, the colours and texture are wonderful. I love the cogs and wheels and that butterfly is gorgeous, fabulous composition, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thank you so much for your comment, I'm glad you like it :) I just LOVE these stamps, I've wanted them for a long time so hopefully this is a fitting tribute to them! ;) xx

      Delete
  3. Fabulous project Penny. Wonderful texture and colours. Great photos TFS all of the detail. Have a great week filled with joy and chocolate.
    Hugs Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flo, thank you so much for your lovely comments :) You have a great week too hun, and yes hopefully my week will involve chocolate ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Wow very nice texture!Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Regina, I'm glad you like it :) Hope you have a good week too xx

      Delete
  5. You certainly look as though you have had fun with this piece Penny, and there is so much to enjoy. I cannot imagine that there was much left unused in your craft room, lol! A fabulously eye-catching piece of mixed media, and so apt for this colour combo. Thanks for your entry into the Chocolate Baroque Challenge, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, thank you so much for your lovely comment :) I absolutely did have loads of fun with this piece - and of course I HAD to christen my new stamps and paints lol! ;) xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Penny and wow I adore this project. That background is fabulous with all the beautiful texture and I love the drips too! Beautiful stamping and a brilliant take on this months colour palette. Thanks so much for joining us at Chocolate Baroque Challenge this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, thank you very much for your kind words :) I love Steampunk - can you tell lol?! I usually manage to include some in my challenge entries! :) xx

      Delete
  7. Stunning mixed media piece. I love all the layering with stamps and die cuts, and how you have used the die cut waste as a stencil - very effective. Love it. Good luck with the Chocolate Baroque Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, thank you so much for your comment :) I am still adding to my CB Steampunk stamps, there are so many to collect lol! :) xx

      Delete