Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Cogs and Watches

Here is a project I've just finished using some new goodies I got at a local craft show.  As you may know I am a big fan of Steampunk, and I have a lot of stamps, dies and embellishments to prove it!  The basis of this piece of artwork is an MDF tag from Inkydoodles, so I decided to create a project made entirely from my collection of Inkydoodle products.  The stamps used are from the 'Time Flies' 'Hexley Transport', 'Checkered Background' and 'Rough Stuff'' sets, and I've also used a selection of wooden cogs and a key.  To colour the artwork I have used Pebeo Iridescent Dyna acrylics -  blue green, green blue and green gold.  I have also used Copper acrylic paint, Versafine inks- Black and Blue Lagoon ,a Clockface stencil and Glossy Accents.  
I started by putting a coat of white gesso on the tag.  When dry I sponged the Dyna paints randomly over the tag.    When these were dry I put the stencil onto the tag and spritzed some Peacock Green glimmer mist over it and the artwork, then left it to dry.   Next I started stamping the texture image and some cogs in Blue Lagoon ink.  I let these dry then stamped the Checkered background using the Copper acrylic.  The results were patchy but I didn't mind that, it added to the distressed look.     I then stamped the fobwatch image a couple of times, when dry I painted the case of the watches with Copper.  Next I stamped a couple of sentiments randomly over the tag in Black ink.  I then glazed the face of one of the watches and left it to dry.  I painted several sizes of cogs, the key and the little stand for the tag.  I stamped a dragonfly image onto white card in black ink, then heat embossed with black powder.  I painted it with the Dyna paints then cut it out.  I also stamped a key image onto the wooden key.  I attached the cogs and key with PVA glue, and the dragonfly with dimensional glue after shaping it.  To complete the project I stuck three pieces of ribbon together using red double sided tape and attached it to the top of the tag.  I created this artwork purely for fun, but I think a piece of home decor like this would make a lovely present for any occasion as it can be decorated with different themes and colours.   

Sunday, 3 May 2015

Iridescent Peacock

I really enjoyed making this card for my daughter's birthday recently, using new goodies and old, some favourite techniques and some I've wanted to try for ages.  I love Peacocks  and have several different stamps of them to choose from, but this is my favourite.  I have also used a couple of my favourite floral stamps too, they represent the lovely Cherry Blossom tree which is in full bloom in our garden at the moment!  
For this design I have used stamps from Chocolate Baroque's 'Peacock Parade' set and from Sheena Douglass's Sakura set, the sentiment is from a CB set.  To colour I have used Aqua Tint ink, Distress ink, Brushos, and Pebeo Dyna acrylic paints.  
The base card is a white scalloped edged card.  I stamped Peacock feathers, using DI of the same name, along the sides to create a border then blended the ink around the edges of the card.  The background panel is a piece of white card that I stamped the Peacock onto with black Versafine ink and heat embossed it with black powder.  I masked the image with drawing gum and let it dry.  Next I stamped and embossed one of the blossom branches across the the Peacock, and masked it as before.  This will give the impression of the bird sitting on the branch.  I then painted over the whole panel with Aqua Tint ink.  While the ink was still wet I spritzed it with a little water then sprinkled Turquoise Brusho over it. and left it to dry.  I love the random effect you get with this technique.   On a separate piece of white card I stamped and embossed the Cherry blossom images in black, then painted them with Dyna acrylic 'Iridescent Violet Blue', a lovely colour that changes as the light catches it from deep pink to purple then blue.  I cut the images out and set them aside.   I rubbed the drawing gum off the branch and painted it with H2o and Dyna paints.  I then removed the gum from the Peacock and painted the image with Dyna paints 'Iridescent Gold, Blue Green and Green Blue'.  I matted the panel onto black card then layered it onto the base card.  I attached the other blossom branches and the sentiment panel with dimensional glue to complete the card.  I really love this design, I think it could be used for various occasions even a wedding card.  It would also make a beautiful piece of wall art or home this space!