Hi there and welcome to my blog :) I had some more new stamps to play with so I thought I'd christen them by creating another piece of mixed media for the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge. The fantasy genre is a favourite of mine - books, films and craft. And I LOVE Dragons! I have used stamps from CB Here Be Dragons, Underwater Kingdom, and Sticks and Stones sets; Aquatints, Aztec paints, Distress Inks, Pebeo sand texture paste - black, copper marker pen, black Versafine ink, a stencil.
I arranged the images (stamped and cut out on copy paper) as a draft. I wanted to create a rocky mountainside as a backdrop for the Dragons, so I stamped the larger set of rocks, masked them, then stamped again. I repeated this technique several times to build up the mountainside. I included a bare branch which I have used as the remains of a burnt tree at the front of the mountain. I also stamped a silhouette branches image at the side of the mountain.
I wanted to create a dramatic stormy sky, so I washed over the whole panel with Aquatint and dried it. I then added DI through a cloud stencil. I really like the effect this gives me.
I removed the masking fluid from the mountainside and added some texture paste to the rocks.I used the black paste to give a scorched effect to the mountainside - thanks to the Dragons! I painted the bare tree in front using brown and black DI's to make the tree look burnt.
I painted the rocks with a mixture of Aquatints and DI, and I added copper Aztec paint to the texture paste.
I matted the panel onto black card, then I coloured a border onto hammered card with a copper marker pen. This gives the effect of beaten copper. I then attached the panel to the hammered card.
I stamped the Dragons onto black card and embossed them in copper, then cut them out. I painted them with DI's and Aztec paints.
I attached the Dragons with dimensional glue to make them 3D.
I stamped a sentiment onto white card and embossed it in black. I cut the card into a strip, blended DI around the edges, then splatted and splodged paint on it too. I tore and distressed the edges, then curled the top and bottom edges, to create a piece of 'old parchment'. I then attached it to the card.
I am so pleased with my first creation using these Dragons! The whole composition of this piece has worked out just as I wanted. The paste adds texture and depth to the rocks, and has ended up looking like scorched moss on them. The sentiment parchment sets the piece off perfectly. As always the stamps are amazingly detailed and beautifully drawn, which makes them a pleasure to work with.
Thanks for popping in today, I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and will visit again soon :)