Labels

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Dragon Mountain



Hi there and welcome to my blog  :)  I had some more new stamps to play with so I thought I'd christen them by creating another piece of mixed media for the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge.  The fantasy genre is a favourite of mine - books, films and craft.  And I LOVE Dragons!  I have used stamps from CB Here Be Dragons, Underwater Kingdom, and Sticks and Stones sets; Aquatints, Aztec paints, Distress Inks, Pebeo sand texture paste - black, copper marker pen, black Versafine ink, a stencil. 



I arranged the images (stamped and cut out on copy paper) as a draft.  I wanted to create a rocky mountainside as a backdrop for the Dragons, so I stamped the larger set of rocks, masked them,  then stamped again.  I repeated this technique several times to build up the mountainside.  I included a bare branch which I have used as the remains of a burnt tree at the front of the mountain.   I also stamped a silhouette branches image at the side of the mountain.  



I wanted to create a dramatic stormy sky, so I washed over the whole panel with Aquatint and dried it.  I then added DI through a cloud stencil.  I really like the effect this gives me.  




I removed the masking fluid from the mountainside and added some texture paste to the rocks.I used the black paste to give a scorched effect to the mountainside - thanks to the Dragons!  I painted the bare tree in front using brown and black DI's to make the tree look burnt.  




I painted the rocks with a mixture of Aquatints and DI, and I added copper Aztec paint to the texture paste.  

 


I matted the panel onto black card, then I coloured a border onto hammered card with a copper marker pen.  This gives the effect of beaten copper.  I then attached the panel to the hammered card.

    


I stamped the Dragons onto black card and embossed them in copper, then cut them out.  I painted them with DI's and Aztec paints.  





I attached the Dragons with dimensional glue to make them 3D.




I stamped a sentiment onto white card and embossed it in black.  I cut the card into a strip, blended DI around the edges, then splatted and splodged paint on it too.  I tore and distressed the edges, then curled the top and bottom edges, to create a piece of 'old parchment'.  I then attached it to the card.





I am so pleased with my first creation using these Dragons!  The whole composition of this piece has worked out just as I wanted.  The paste adds texture and depth to the rocks, and has ended up looking like scorched moss on them.  The sentiment parchment sets the piece off perfectly.  As always the stamps are amazingly detailed and beautifully drawn, which makes them a pleasure to work with.  
Thanks for popping in today, I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and will visit again soon  :)

14 comments:

  1. OMG totally amazing work Penny, I love it, the colours, texture and images are fabulous and what a fantastic scene. Tolkien could have been interested, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Kate, I am a huge Tolkein fan so that is such a lovely complement! I had such fun creating this scene, the Dragons are lovely aren't they? As lovely as Dragons can be of course lol! xx

      Delete
  2. I love dragons too and these are great! I love the shine to them and your card is well thought out. Love the whole scene with the burnt rocks and the trees...this is a great card and love the saying:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, thank you so much hun! I'm glad it turned out okay too :) x

      Delete
  3. A fabulous scene Penny, and you obviously had great fun making this project. Love the details in your background; the moody sky and scorched rocks particularly. I am very fond of the dragons stamp set, I used it in my original DT application many moons ago! Thank you for another great entry for the Chocolate Baroque Challenge, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, thank you very much for your lovely comment :) I have wanted these Dragons for ages and I LOVE them! I'm already creating another piece with the third Dragon! :) xx

      Delete
  4. Wonderful card Penny. Those dragons are fabulous. Always liked this set. The sentiment always makes me smile.
    Hugs Flo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flo, thank you very much, I've wanted this set for a long time so I'm a happy bunny now that I've got them lol! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Stunning project, I love the moody sky you've created and the dragons look amazing too. They are some of my favourite stamps and you've created a really fabulous scene with them. Thanks so much for joining us at Chocolate Baroque Challenge this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, thank you so much for your lovely comment :) Can you tell I'm a huge Tolkein fan lol?! :) x

      Delete
  6. Stunning card. Clever stamping and I love all the texture and layering. Love those dragons too - they are on my wish list. Good luck with the Chocolate Baroque Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, thank you so much for your comment :) The dragons have been on my wishlist for a long time - I'm sooo happy to have them now lol! I've managed to christen all of them now - just need to name them! :D x

      Delete