Friday, 6 June 2014

Vintage- Steampunk Clock

This project is created from an MDF clock kit from Inky Doodles and also features some of the brilliant Inky Doodles steampunk stamps, namely 'Clockwork Birds' and 'Time Flies'.  I have also used other stamps from my crafty stash by Sheena Douglas, Indigo Blue, and a lovely script stamp that I've had forever!  I wanted to create a vintage 'shabby-chic' theme but I also wanted to use the steampunk stamps especially one of the clockwork birds, so I decided on a 'Vintage Shabby-Chic meets Steampunk' theme!  

Start by giving all the MDF parts in the kit a couple of coats of white gesso paint to give a smooth non porous surface to paint on.   I left the numerical clock face in it's natural form as it is cut from wood, and I like it as it is.  Using acrylic paints, I mixed colours together to make cream, and dusky pink colours.  I then painted the front side of the back of the clock with the two colours in 'patches' of colour, blending the edges of the patches in to each other.  I did the same for the rim of the clock.  When dry I stamped the script image randomly two or three times over the background in Sepia Versafine ink using second generation ink.  I then stamped  cogs, a vintage swirl, and a chequered background stamp in the same way on the background and the rim.  I then used flitter glue to stamp the vintage swirl image several times over the other images on the background and rim, then add gilding flakes.   Next I added some Walnut stain Distress ink to the wooden numerical clock face to darken the wood a little, then added flitterglue and gilding flakes randomly to highlight the numbers and add texture.  Then all the pieces are sprayed with 'Spray and Shine' to seal the artwork. 
The next thing was to create the embellishments!  On a piece of white card I blended three colours of Distress inks which complimented the paints used before.  Then some floral and leaf images in three sizes were stamped on to the coloured card using the sepia ink.  The flowers and leaves were cut out and the script was stamped over them to add interest to the petals, giving the effect that they have been cut out of an old book page.  On another piece of white card I stamped the clockwork Chaffinch in Sepia ink and heat embossed with clear powder.  I also stamped and embossed another wing and key, to decoupage on to the bird later.  I used the same Distress inks that I used to colour the flowers to paint colour on to the bird, which was then cut out.  Using a die I cut some foliage out of Kraft card, and then added Distress ink to a little wooden key from my stash.   The flowers and leaves were  then shaped, so was the bird.   The flowers were assembled by putting a dot of glue in the centre of each sized piece and stacking them in decreasing sizes.  Then the leaves, flowers, foliage, and the bird are all dipped into the melt pot into clear UTEE(scary!)  This seals the embellishments, makes them very durable, and gives a beautiful glossy shine to the pieces.  The key is covered in a layer of Glossy Accents.  FINALLY- the clock rim is glued on to the main clock background; the numerical clock face is also glued in place; the Chaffinch is attached with dimensional glue, so are the flowers, leaves, foliage and key.  Gold Liquid Pearls is dotted into the centres of the flowers and VOILA!!  My vintage-shabby chic- steampunk clock is complete!    And I loved every minute of creating it!! 

Thursday, 5 June 2014

Ancient India



This design is once again inspired by Sheena Douglass and uses stamps and an embossing folder from her 'A Taste of India' collection, namely 'Indian Arches'.  I couldn't decide which I wanted to use, the stamp or the embossing folder, so I used both!  Starting with the base card, I have used a white 8"x 8" card.  Distress inks, Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade are blended on to the card, then Walnut Stain is used around the very edges to create a distressed look.  Droplets of water are flicked randomly over the inks then blotted off with tissue, giving a 'faux bleaching' effect.  Floral images are randomly stamped all over the card in second generation sepia ink.  There are two focal panels in this design, one stamped and one embossed.  The stamped panel features the 'Indian Arches' image.  It is stamped on to white card using Sepia Versafine ink, and heat embossed with clear powder.  The same three Distress Inks are blended all over the panel.  The lightest colour is used where the light source would be, and the colours get darker where the shadows would be.  The panel is then mounted on to dark brown card.  The embossed panel uses the same brown card, and gold gilding wax is rubbed over the raised pattern.  A heavier application of gilding wax is used as the light source this time.  This panel is mounted on to gold mirror card.  Three flourishes are die cut from the brown card and gold gilding wax is added, giving a tarnished gold look.  Three floral images and three leaf images are stamped in sepia ink on to white card and heat embossed with clear powder.  The images are then painted with H2O's in colours  which compliment the colours already used.  When dry, gold and red liquid pearls are dotted around the edges of the petals and along one edge of the leaves.  The card is assembled by layering the two focal panels offsetting one from the other.  The flourishes are added next, then the flowers and leaves complete the design.