Labels

Wednesday 25 July 2018

Cacti in the Sunset




Hi there and a warm welcome to my blog  :)  And for a change it really IS a warm one lol!  We are still enjoying a beautiful summer - hot and sunny - which suits this card very well.  This is one of my samples for the Chocolate Baroque shows in June which featured the beautiful Cacti and Succulents stamps.  For this project I have used stamps from the Scrumptious Succulents set; Distress Oxide inks, Versamark ink, gold embossing powder, gold gilding wax, acetate and an embossing folder from my stash.



I took a piece of CB Cartridge paper and stamped the two 'low' succulent images with Versamark ink, and embossed them in gold.  I then masked those images, stamped and embossed two other images and masked them too.  I then blended DOs all over the panel in pinks, yellows and oranges to create a sunset background.  I drew round a circle die to create a large setting sun before colouring.  My inspiration for this came from sunsets I have seen on past holidays.  I blended ink around the edges of the panel.




When the background was finished I removed the masks ready for colouring the images.



I used DOs to paint the images, mixing and blending colours to shade and highlight them.



Next I took some acetate and cut it to size slightly larger than the focal images.  I tend to do everything by eye so I have no measurements to give you I'm afraid.  I then took some strips of black card, cut to size so that they create a border around the acetate.  I embossed the strips using a border folder from my stash, then added gold gilding wax to them to bring out the pattern.  I attached the strips around the edges of the acetate using red liner tape.  



I matted the background panel onto dark brown card and attached it to a white base card.  I blended ink around the edges of the base card before attaching the acetate.  I cut the acetate larger than the focal image area so that I could create a 'dome' over the plants, and the border strips resemble the metal frame of a Terrarium.



On a small piece of card I blended DOs as before then stamped and embossed a sentiment in gold.  I matted the sentiment panel onto the same dark card and attached the panel to the front of the card.  




I really enjoyed making this card, I love creating something a bit different!  This is a great 'worker' card which would suit any recipient for lots of occasions.  It could also be adapted to create a piece of home decor.
Thank you so much for dropping by today, I hope you have enjoyed this post - feel free to leave me a comment - I hope you'll pop in again soon  :)

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning Penny, fabulous design and your colours are amazing. The weather is amazing, certainly can't complain this year,however it's hard on the farmers and their livestock, but before we know it it will be Christmas lol,Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate :) Oooh don't mention the C word yet lol xx

      Delete