Labels

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Mixed Media Harlequin




Hi and welcome to my blog  :)  I have one of my DT samples from the Chocolate Baroque tv shows this week on Hochanda, featuring some of their gorgeous Autumnal stamps, to share with you today.  I love Autumn, the colours, the late sunshine and frosty mornings - not too keen on the rain though lol!  So this call out was DEFINATELY a dream for me.  I have used stamps from the CB  Butterfly Collage and Nature's Peace sets; Distress inks,  Distress Oxide inks, Aqua pens, Aztec paints, black and Sepia Versafine, clear embossing powder, CB Butterfly stencil, silver glitter texture paste, acetate, cardboard.  



I began by creating the focal panel.  I stamped the Poppy Harlequin image onto white card with sepia Versafine ink, then masked the Poppies and seed heads.  I then colour washed the card with DOs and let it dry.  I blended DI around the edges of the panel then removed the masks.  I used Aztec pearlescent paints to colour the Poppies and seed heads to make them pop. As the paints are transluscent non of the fine detail of the stamps is lost.  
  


I stamped a collage butterfly in black ink onto a spare piece of white card and embossed it.  I painted it and cut it out.  I then stamped and embossed a couple more butterflies on acetate then cut them out. 



I wanted to 'ground' the Poppies so I used a brown fine tipped marker pen to draw some ground lines, then added some dots to shade it and to compliment the stamps.  I used texture paste through the stencil to add silver butterflies to the piece and left them to set overnight.  When everything was dry I tied some twine around the panel.   



I added the acetate butterflies as an overlay for the silver textured ones and to give them detail.  The silver glitter paste shines through the acetate beautifully.  I attached them by glueing on the bodies only leaving the wings free.  I attached the painted butterfly in the same way. 



On a white base card I stamped the top of the tree image around the edges with DI then blended the ink as well.  I took a piece of corrugated cardboard, peeled the top layer off and painted it silver.  When dry I added it at a jaunty angle to the base card.  I then attached the focal panel.



I have to admit that I LOVE this card!  I adore mixed media and messy crafting, and this design enabled me to include both so it was a win win!  I think that all the elements, textures and colours come together nicely.  Most of my samples for this call out were traditional Autumn colours but I tried a few different combinations as well.  This cool colour scheme represents the bright but frosty Autumn mornings to come - brrrr!
Thank you for popping by today, I hope you have enjoyed this post and will visit here again soon  :) 

4 comments:

  1. Totally gorgeous Penny, love the combination of colours and images, all beautifully put together. The corrugated paper is a brilliant addition and I love the use of the tree as a background. The shows as always were brilliant and it's lovely to see your samples being shown and named....mind you I'm now spotting yours ahead of time as I'm getting to know your wonderful style, thanks for the inspiration, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thank you so much (again) for your lovely comments and your continued support :) I can't tell you how much I really appreciate it. So glad you liked the samples too - I'd better pull my finger out with the blogging lol! xx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous card Penny. Fabulous attention to detail as always. Always love to see your projects.
    Hugs Flo x

    ReplyDelete