Wednesday, 13 September 2017

Metal and Sparkle

Hi there and welcome to my blog  :)  I have a piece of mixed media to share with you today, something I created for the Country View Crafts Challenge blog;   Their theme for September is 'Metal' and I decided to create my take on a set of steel tool drawers, like the ones found in many garages.  I have used an MDF set of drawers, black card, embossing folders,die cuts, paper clay and moulds, skeleton leaves, gilding waxes, Dyna paints and Sparkle pens.

I started with a small MDF set of drawers with wooden handles.  I painted the whole thing with black gesso,taking the drawers out, painting each one and letting it dry.

While the paint was drying I embossed several pieces of black card in folders, one with a grid pattern and one with cogs.  I then added gilding waxes to give an effect of aged metal.  

I covered the drawer handles with each of the gilding waxes, then cut the embossed card into panels to cover the drawer fronts.  I used strong glue to attach the panels then blended waxes around the edges. 

I then attached panels to all sides of the chest.  I didn't cut the card to fit each side exactly, I used several smaller pieces on a couple of sides to give the appearance of patched sheet metal.

 I left the front of the chest black so that the drawer fronts really pop.

Next I made all the embellishments; some out of black paper clay, some out of die cut card, and a frame that I made by attaching two thin wooden frames together then painting it with black gesso and gold paint.  I painted the little face in the same way, the cogs and flowers were painted with Dyna paints.  I then used Sparkle pens on the flowers to enhance the textures.  I gilded the die cuts, but I left the skeleton leaves as they were already a lovely colour of blue.  


I used the gold paint to accentuate the features of the face.

I attached a small panel of mirror card to the back of the frame , then attached the face inside the frame.  I added a tiny flower to the frame and some tiny cogs to the face.  I then arranged and attached the other embellishments.

To complete this project I used the waste from die cutting cogs to create faux rivets  for the 'sheet metal' panels.  

I had an absolute blast creating this project and I'm really pleased with the result!  I love the combination of the hard metal effect with the softness of the flowers and the delicate skeleton leaves.  Thank you so much for visiting my blog today, I hope you've enjoyed this post - I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment - and I hope to see you here again soon  :)  


  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh wow Penny absolutely stunning work, so much detail to look at and beautifully designed, love the richness of the metallic colours and that little mask is awesome, love everything about it, Kate x

    1. Hi Kate, thank you so much for those kind words! I've wanted to create something like this for ages, and luckily it turned out okay lol! Glad you like it hun :) xx

  2. Well - I'm going to have to add this one to my list of projects to do. Love the Steampunk theme in this one!!

    1. Hi Jill, thank you very much for your kind comment - better late than never lol! xxx ;)

  3. Wow - I love your set of drawers. What a fabulous make. Thanks for joining in at CVC CHallenges.

    1. Hi Miriam, thank you very much :) I loved creating this for CVC challenge and I hope to enter more of them x