Labels

Friday 9 August 2019

Steampunk Angel



Hi there welcome to my blog  :)   Today I have a mixed media canvas to share with you that I have just finished, with a Steampunk theme.  I wanted to use the techniques that I had learnt from the Creative Craft Acadamy tutorial using products and embellishments from my own stash.  



I began with a canvas that I had started for another project which I subsequently adandoned.  I painted the canvas with two coats of white gesso.  It wasn't enough to blank out the colour that was already on the canvas, but it knocked the colour back and provided a smoother surface to work on.  Using a pallett knife I applied crackle paste around the edges of the canvas, this is a one step crackle paste which I applied quite thickly as I wanted large crackles.  I left the paste to dry naturally.




Whilst I waited for the paste to dry I gathered together everything that I wanted to use for this project:- a greyboard tag coated with white gesso, a panel of primed chipboard in the pattern of circles, a circles mask, MDF mannequin and butterfly wings, assorted metal embellishments and several air dry clay embellishments that I had made previously.

   


I painted the mannequin with black gesso and also some of the clay embellishments.  



I then used a couple of glimmer sprays to colour the primed chipboard.



Next I took the tag and applied crackle paste on just over two thirds of the tag.  I Left it to dry naturally which didn't take too long as I had applied a thinner coat of paste to get smaller crackles.  I then sprayed the tag which emphasized the crackles.
  



I added some purple Soft Form Reliefe Paste through the stencil onto the tag and left it to dry.



By this time the canvas was dry so the next step was to spray the top half one colour and the bottom half a co-ordinating colour.  The spray colours seeped into the cracks emphasising them, and the mica in the colours gave the canvas a lovely sheen.  






I chose a round metal bezel from my embellishment collection and added some gold gilding wax.  I then put Glossy Accents into the center of the bezel and added some blue sand crystals.  When that was dry I added a glass Steampunk cabochon that features a heart shape.  I wanted this to represent the Angel's heart.  



I next turned my attention to more of the embellishments, painting them and adding gilding wax.   



I began to assemble the tag with the larger wings first, attaching them directly onto the tag before building the Angel.  The MDF mannequin formed the body, and I attached the heart bezel to it along with several metal cogs.  Next to go on are the clay wings, then a couple of clay cogs and a metal embellishment on top.  I wanted to create a sort of headress for her.  I then topped it off with the head.  I continued to add more embellishments until I was happy with it.



Once the tag was finished I started on the canvas.  I cut the chipboard panel in half and attached it so that it would show either side of the tag.  I also added metal filigree corners.
  



I attached the tag in the center of the canvas, and added a few gems and pearls to some of the metal embellishments.  



I attached several  more embellishments around the edges of the canvas then added gold gilding wax around the sides of the canvas.





I had an absolute BLAST creating this!  I'm delighted with the way it has turned out, and I really enjoyed using all the techniques, products and embellishments - I shall definately be creating more mixed media pieces in the future.
Thank you for dropping by today, I hope that you've enjoyed this post and that you will visit my blog again soon  :)

2 comments:

  1. I have no words...I love the crackle background and the vivid blues along with the angel and all the steam punk gadgets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, thank you for your lovely comment hun! xxx

      Delete