Labels

Sunday 7 December 2014

My First Advent Calendar








This is a lovely project that I recently made for my youngest grandson, who was a year old in October.  I have never made an Advent Calendar before, I love decorating MDF and wooden home decor products so I thought I'd have a go.  I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, and my grandson loves it!  The Advent Calendar is from Hobbycraft, as are the papers used to decorate the drawers,and the wooden numbers.   I have used acrylic paints - blue, red, silver and white; Brilliance inks sky blue and rocket red; assorted stamps from Crafters Companion, Sheena Douglass, Inky Doodles and some free stamps that came with a magazine.  I also used snowflake dies from Xcut and Memory Box with pearlescent papers.  I used Pro Markers to colour some images and silver gilding wax to finish off the drawers.  So to begin with I painted the whole thing with a couple of coats of white Gesso, to seal the MDF and give a smooth base to work on.  I then painted the house white and  the roof blue.  I painted the chimney red and put 'cement' seams on in white paint, giving the impression of bricks.  I painted the drawers white and blue alternately.  Next I cut the Christmas papers to fit the front of the drawers.  I stuck them on with Pinflair Book Binder glue, and painted the handles with silver acrylic paint.  I edged the drawers with silver gilding wax.  Lastly I put the wooden numbers on to the drawers.  I stamped some reindeer images onto smooth white card using blue ink and heat embossed them with clear powder, then cut them out.  I did the same with the other images, colouring the gingerbread men and Father Christmas images with Pro markers.  I stamped some border images onto the back of the house in blue and red Brilliance ink.  I die cut several snowflake shapes of various sizes out of glitter and pearlescent papers.  I then added all the stamped images and snowflakes to decorate and embellish the house.  I absolutely loved making this project, and I will certainly be making more!

No comments:

Post a Comment