Friday, 15 August 2014

A Hint of Peacock

Here is another design that I have created for the Chocolate Baroque Challenge  using the colour swatch for this month, Christmas Colours.  I have used Distress Inks in Broken China, Mowed Lawn, Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed, and Scattered Straw.  I also used Rocket Red Brilliance ink, and a mixed acrylic paint of pale yellow.  The stamps I used are from CB Peacock Parade, Tangled Peacock, Christmas Flourish and Christmas Magic.  I started by making the background panel, taking a piece of smooth white stamping card.  I blended a mix of the yellow and blue DI's, then did some faux bleaching using a large Peacock feather image, spritzing it with water and stamping randomly all over the background panel.  After a few seconds I blotted the images with kitchen towel, leaving an almost white image.  I then took the same image and stamped it in Broken China ink randomly again.  When the panel had completely dried I mixed some medium yellow and titanium white acrylic paints to create a pale yellow colour and dry painted it lightly across the panel.  I've never done this before but I was inspired to try this technique after seeing a tag created by Glenda Waterworth of Chocolate Baroque.  Then I blended some blue ink around the very edges of the panel.  I stamped a corner image in red ink in two opposite corners of the panel and heat embossed with clear powder.  As the main focal image of this Christmas design I decided to use a triple Peacock feather image as baubles hanging from the branch of a Christmas tree.  I cut a mask out of copier paper in the shape of the end of a fir tree branch.  Using one of the tree images from the Christmas Flourish set I stamped through the mask on to the panel with Mowed Lawn ink, repeating this a couple of times to create a branch.  Next I stamped the triple feather image twice, once below the branch and again slightly higher, as if they are hanging from the branch.  As it is a Christmas design I wanted to add a bit of bling so I highlighted the centres of the 'baubles' with red and yellow glitters, and the holly berries in the corner images with red glitter.  On another piece of the white card I created the same background.  I stamped a sentiment from CB Christmas Magic set in red ink and heat set it with clear powder.  I then die cut the sentiment with a label die.  I added shading with blue ink by leaving the card in the die after cutting and blending ink around the inside edge of the die.  I then matted the label and the panel on to green card.  The base card is red cardstock on to which I have stamped a holly border from my CB broken biscuits set in pale yellow acrylic paint.  I   brushed the paint on to the stamp quite thickly, which resulted in the stamped image being textured which looks lovely. The holly border is stamped all around the edges of the red base card.  When the paint is dry the main panel is layered on to it and the sentiment label is attached with dimensional glue.  


  1. Another Beauty Penny. Fabulous stamping. Thank you for playing along with the Chocolate Baroque Color Challenge.
    Flo x

  2. A beautiful card Penny, absolutely gorgeous layering and texture. Great use of the peacock stamps to create a Christmas card. Thanks for entering your project into the Chocolate Baroque challenge, Judith x

  3. Love this design, beautiful techniques and combination of images. Thanks for joining in the fun at Chocolate Baroque's colour challenge. Shirleyx

  4. ps, very creative idea using the Peacock feathers as ornaments :) xx

  5. Wow what an amazing christmascard, and what a great use of the peacock feathers stamps , I really , really love this card!! Thanks for your nice commants on the CB blog for my work!!