Labels

Thursday 18 February 2016

Lady Steampunk









This canvass is my second entry to Country View Challenges this month http://countryviewchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/.  I LOVE mixed media and Steampunk, and I've been meaning to create a canvass like this for a while.  My inspiration for this piece comes from Frank Skinner and Finnabair.  I used a mixture of stamps and media products, and dies.   Some stamps are from a set by Frank Skinner plus some others from Indigo blue, Inkydoodles, Papermania and my stash.  I have coloured this project with Dyna paints and a little gilding wax.   I started with an 8" x 8" canvass which I painted with black Gesso and let it dry.  I sponged Dyna paints all over it, sponging paint gives a lovely random texture.  Next I added clear moulding paste through a stencil in a couple of places for more texture, and let it dry.  I wanted to create a steampunk woman on acetate so I stamped and heat embossed a face in black, then added cogs in the same way for her hair.  I stamped several other images on acetate and heat embossed them in black.  I also stamped several clock faces, and cogs in black onto tissue paper.    Next I die cut cogs, feathers, clocks, a bird and a butterfly from black card, and sponged paint onto them.  I stamped some cogs with paint onto the bird.  I kept one of the clocks black, and a set of the hands.  Then I used a little gilding wax to highlight the moulding paste once dry.  I used decopatch glue to attach the tissue images to the canvass, and some plain tissue in places.  I cut out the acetate images and attached them to the canvass, some on top of the plain tissue to emphasize them and add texture behind them.  I then layered the two clocks together with the black one underneath, slightly offset.  this acts as a shadow and makes the painted clock pop.  I did the same with the clock hands.   I added a tiny cog to the bird as an eye, then arranged the embellishments and attached them to the canvass when I was happy.  I finished the piece by adding a small light bulb.  I had such a great time planning and creating this, I can't wait to get messy again and create another canvass! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Talk about the rich colours but also that layout! This is excellent! I love how the gears are the lady's hair and then one sees the bird and the feather-so much to see and very artistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very, very much Birgit :) It means a lot to me to get such lovely and supportive comments :)

      Delete