Hi there and welcome to my blog :) Today I am sharing a piece of mixed media with a Steampunk flavour that I created for the Country View Crafts Challenge Blog's July challenge 'Things with Wings'. http://countryviewchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/
I have used Chocolate Baroque stamps from the Steampunk Travel, Steampunk Butterfly and Steampunkery sets; Distress Oxide inks, Sepia Versafine ink, copper embossing powder, white sand texture paste, Copper and Antique Silver Aztec paints, Brass gilding wax, Glossy Accents, Aqua Tints.
I took a piece of greyboard and painted a coat of white gesso onto it. When dry I sponged wet DOs in three colours all over the panel. I dried the panel and stamped corner images at the top, stamped and embossed winged images in the bottom corners then stamped cogs in 1st and 2nd generation ink.
Next I placed a stencil over the panel and added texture paste with sand in it, only through random areas of the stencil. I wanted to give the effect of rusty old wire, broken in places. When the paste was dry I painted it with Copper Aztec paint, and when that was dry I mixed teal and white Aquatints and added that on top of the copper paint. This creates a verdigris effect adding to the rusty patina. I repeated this process around the edges of the panel. I love using this rusting technique!
Now that the background was complete I could start making the embellishments and focal pieces. I stamped a lovely Steampunk lace border onto acetate and embossed it with copper powder. I stamped some text onto paper, tore the edges and blended DIs over the paper to age it. I stamped a winged clock image onto a piece of white card and embossed it in copper. I then painted it with silver and gold Aztec paints, and cut it out when dry. To complete the piece I used Glossy Accents on the face and left to dry. I die cut some little cogs out of black card and added gilding wax.
I painted a domino size piece of greyboard with copper paint, stamped some text as before, aged the paper then cut the words out. I drew lines around the words then attached them to the little plaque. I then attached all the embellishments to the main panel.
I love Steampunk, as you may have noticed lol! I also love entering challenges - and this months theme gave me a great excuse to indulge myself! This project makes a lovely piece of home decor, either for yourself or as a present.
Thank you for dropping in to my blog today, I hope you've enjoyed this post and that you'll come back again soon :)