Labels

Monday 1 August 2016

Christmas Canvas








                                                I have some exciting news!! 
I recently became a member of the design team for Sheena Douglass - I'm so thrilled and excited!  :)  This canvas is one of my samples for my first DT call out, and I was lucky enough to see Sheena show it live on television last week!  So now that I have calmed down a bit and the shows have aired I can share my creations with you  :)  So for this piece I have used Sheena Perfect Partner stamps and die - Holly Jolly Christmas and Holly Berries; Dyna paints; Aqua Tints; black Versafine; black EP; Gold Gilding wax; Icicle Stickles; black Gesso.  I took an 8"x 8" canvas and covered it with a coat of black Gesso.  When dry I sponged 3 colours of Dyna paints all over the surface.  These paints are duo chrome acrylics, which means that they change colour when the light hits them.  I wanted to still see the texture of the canvas, while also creating a lovely shimmering background.  Using a piece of white card I cut and dry embossed several branches of Holly, then painted them with Aqua Tint.  I also cut the same number of Holly branches from black card.  When the first leaves were dry I added gilding wax and polished.  I then stamped a corner swirl onto acetate in black ink, and heat embossed with black powder.  On the reverse side of the acetate I painted the tiny Holly leaves with acrylic, then cut the images out.  I attached the corner swirls to the canvas with strong glue.  I attached the green Holly to the black Holly, slightly offsetting it so that the black created a shadow.  I then arranged them along one edge of the canvas, having shaped them all to make them look realistic, and attached them with dimensional glue.  I added the berries and highlighted them with a gold pen.  I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment onto a piece of white card in black, then edged the panel with red Aqua Tint.  I matted it onto a piece of black card which was edged in gilding wax.  I wasn't really happy with it though as it looked a bit messy, so I painted the panel red and added Stickles  around the edges.  I then attached it to the canvas with dimensional glue.  I wanted to create some artwork for Christmas that would grace any home each year, and I'm so pleased with the result.  

1 comment:

  1. Ok..I am officially in awe! This is so beautiful, rich and artistic. You are a real artist and I am so happy for you that you have been on TV. Those holly leaves look store bought yet you made them and they are perfect in my eyes right along with the acetate and the swirly holly design you created. This is a stunner and you should be proud of this.

    ReplyDelete